Keeping an apartment organized is not a simple task, but an organized apartment is a happier resident. A few small steps will help you keep your apartment looking presentable.
- Most of us are always running late, jump out of bed, throw on some clothes, grab a bite to eat, and run out the door. Make your bed as soon as you wake up. After all, the bed is the first thing you see in the bedroom.
- Get rid of clutter! Everything in your apartment should have a place to call home too. If it does not, get rid of it! Clutter, you may not notice it and after a while it begins to look like the furniture in your home. However, the first thing a guest will notice is your clutter.
- Family rule: if you take it out, you put it away. From pens/crayons/markers to clothing/personal items/toys and everything in between. As soon as you are done with supplies or any household item, it gets put away right away. Leaving “stuff” on the table, counters etc. becomes an endless job to clean up later.
- Clean up all spills such as oil, food, sticky drinks immediately. That means on counter tops, on the stove, and on the floor. This will avoid the hard scrubbing from food stuck to the surfaces.
- Take your shoes off at the front door when you come home. Keeping a shoe rack by the door for family and guests to put their shoes is helpful. Dirt from shoes can be tracked in onto your floors or carpet causing stains to set in. Keep your carpets and floor sparkling by leaving shoes at your door!
- Dirty dishes piling up in your sink is a big NO! Set the standards in your home, if you use a dish, rinse it and put it directly into your dishwasher and run your dishwasher as soon as it is full. Your sink stays empty throughout the day and your kitchen stays clean.